Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Career Mentoring Event at AMIA 2023
Monday November 13 | 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm CST
This 90-minute group mentoring event will take place during the AMIA 2023 Annual Symposium.
DEI-ME provides an opportunity for informaticists to discuss and engage with one another in a safe space regarding a host of topics pertaining to diversity, equity, inclusion. This is a chance for individuals to make connections and develop relationships to advise through their career path.
The goal of this event is to provide an inclusive mentoring event that is specifically DEI-focused in terms of discussion topics, where we can bring together individuals for career mentoring conversations in a small group setting.
DEI-ME will have tables with a mentor at each table covering one of eight topics. Mentees will rank the topics when registering and be placed based on their answers. DEI-ME will have 40-minute discussions with one rotation for mentees to experience a different topic and mentors.
The DEI Retention and Advancement Subcommittee DEI-ME Mentoring Event Planning Committee: Karmen Williams, Vickie Nguyen, Kristian Frederik, Nick Reid, Donghua Tao, Arlene Chung
Mentors and Mentees
- We are seeking both mentors & mentees from diverse perspectives for the event.
- Mentor responsibilities include attending a pre-event training session and the 90 min event.
- Mentees from all stages of the career development life cycle. So, whether you’re a college student to an informatics master’s or PhD student to early to mid to late career, you’re all welcome to join the event! Mentees are responsible for attending the 90 min event.
- LGBTQIA+ informaticians
- BIPOC informaticians
- Navigating the challenges of intersectionality between identities (e.g., examples of intersections are BIPOC women, LGBTQIA+ and with limited physical abilities)
- Navigating challenges of bias in the workplace: how to navigate and thrive while also working to address systemic racism and discrimination
- Career transitions between academia and industry
- Early Career DEI opportunities and challenges
- Mid-career Career DEI opportunities and challenges
- Women in AMIA Intersectionality
- Diverse Abilities Informaticians