AMIA 2019 Annual Symposium First Look Program
AMIA is pleased to announce the 3rd annual First Look program. The goal is to expose undergraduate women with an interest in informatics and/or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) to the field through attendance at AMIA’s Annual Symposium.
The AMIA First Look program, sponsored by the Women in AMIA Steering Committee with financial support from committed industry partners, has invited a number of women to the Symposium to learn about the field. First Look participants will be at least at the sophomore level at an undergraduate institution with a STEM-focused program at an institution in the Washington D.C area.
Our objectives for students participating in the AMIA First Look program are to:
- Provide underrepresented undergraduate students with an interest in informatics and/or STEM an opportunity to learn about the field of informatics by attending key symposium events on November 17;
- Introduce and engage students in the Women in AMIA community by interacting with women in informatics through assigned mentored guides and both formal and informal networking receptions; and
- Equip students with resources for internship and post-graduate career “next-steps” in informatics by networking and making connections with industry and educational professionals in the exhibit hall.
The First Look program is available for sponsorship. Look for details in the AMIA 2019 Annual Symposium Prospectus.
Schedule of Events
Sunday, November 17
Orientation meet up 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Registration badge pick-up and ribbon selection
- Partner with Mentor #1-for-a-Day
Introduction to Informatics 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Women in AMIA/AMIA First Look Lunch 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Mentors will share their informatics story with AMIA First Look students; topics will be distributed to aid the conversation. The lunch will also include a brief panel, but this focuses on small-group engagement between mentors and students.
Opening Plenary Session 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Mentor will escort AMIA First Look students to the Opening Plenary Session.
Scientific Sessions 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Mentor will attend the Scientific Sessions with a AMIA First Look students.
Welcome Reception 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Mentor will escort AMIA First Look students to the Learning Showcase to meet sponsors and take photos.