The PI Working group is comprised of AMIA members who are interested in the intersection of informatics, technology and medication management. It is our intention to initiate innovation and patient safety at the nexus of informatics, technology, and medication management for efficient, beneficial patient health care.
This includes all aspects of research, analytics, standard development and clinical practice in the medication use process, defined as:
- Prescribing – using clinical decision support to facilitate rational ordering
- Verifying & Dispensing (Perfecting) – interpreting, translating and perfecting medication orders, including using informatics and technology in the dispensing process
- Administering – information flow and clinical decision support in the electronic medication administration process, including documentation and checking the “5 rights” (right patient, drug, dose, form, time)
- Monitoring – relating to the use of ADE surveillance/prevention, pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacovigilance and pharmacoeconomics to enhance patient outcomes
- Educating – promoting professional and patient education