AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium Student Volunteer Program
AMIA is sponsoring a Student Volunteer Program whereby a limited number of current AMIA student members may receive waived registration to the AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium (this does not include travel, hotel or meals) in exchange for serving as a room monitor at workshops, plenary sessions, scientific sessions, and town hall meetings.
You must be a current AMIA Student Member to qualify for participation in this program. If you aren't a member, learn more about membership and join today.
The AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium will be held in San Diego at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront, October 30 – November 3, 2021. Workshops will be held on Saturday, October 30 and Sunday, October 31.
So, What's In It For Me?
- Waived student registration to the AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium;
- Monitoring during sought after specialty workshops; meeting the session presenters;
- Networking and contact opportunities with VIP’s in the field of biomedical, health, translational, public health and clinical informatics;
- Meeting and networking with other students in the field;
- Assisting with AMIA’s only research-focused meeting and learning how a meeting is put together from behind-the-scenes;
- Networking and assisting other AMIA members.
Responsibilities may include:
- Checking for specific conference badges;
- Monitoring and attending workshops;
- Taking a head count at all monitored sessions;
- Being available if meeting attendees have questions;
- Distributing hand-out materials when appropriate;
- Assisting speakers with room needs (adjusting lighting, contacting AMIA staff regarding problems with room temperatures, urgent AV issues, etc.).
In order to qualify for participation in the program, each student member volunteer must agree to monitor six session slots during the course of the Annual Symposium. A session slot is equal to one workshop, one plenary session, one town hall meeting, or one scientific session. It is imperative that each volunteer remain in their designated time slot for the duration of the session to which they are assigned.
If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email from Lauren Koleszar, AMIA’s Meetings and Exhibits Manager, with information on selecting workshops and sessions to monitor. Once you have selected your workshops and sessions, she will register you with a complimentary registration to the conference and work with you on adding any additional workshops or paid events to your registration.
Should you not COMPLETELY fulfill your volunteer duties, you will be invoiced the early bird student member registration rate for the Annual Symposium at the conclusion of the conference (fee of $495).
You will be notified before any action is taken. If you have not been selected for the Student Volunteer Program, you will be able to register for the Annual Symposium at the early bird student member rate.
Please note: while every attempt will be made to accommodate your choices of sessions to monitor, we cannot guarantee it. Lauren will contact volunteers to finalize arrangements.