The Women in AMIA Initiative is a movement created by and for members. Women in AMIA is committed to informing and inspiring the informatics community toward action around opportunities for women in AMIA to improve health and healthcare.
Women in AMIA is an open group, growing in numbers with the goals of
- encouraging women to participate in AMIA activities
- creating new opportunities within AMIA
- aiding women to reach their professional goals
- helping women advance their careers
- promoting equal opportunity and treatment of women in our field
No matter whether you are a mentor, supervisor, colleague, advocate or friend of women (or even a parent of a girl interested in STEM), any AMIA member supporting the Women in AMIA Initiative goals is welcome to join the conversation and roll up your sleeves to accelerate AMIA’s role in transforming health and healthcare.
A video message from women in AMIA sharing their “Why Informatics?” stories.
Featured in Video:
Marylyn Ritchie, PhD / Tiffany Grant, PhD / Wanda Pratt, PhD, FACMI / Maia Hightower, MD, MPH, MBA / Morgan Harrell, Graduate Student, PhD Candidate / Sandy Galiano, RN, BSN / Vivian Singletary, MBA / Emily Webber, MD, FAAP / Bonnie Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI
Engage with Women in AMIA
Women in AMIA Subcommittees
- Awards and Leadership — Identifies, encourages and enables women in applying for and obtaining leadership positions, awards and professional recognition within and outside of AMIA.
- Career Advancement — Facilitates activities to educate women on career advancement in both academic and non-academic settings.
- Networking/Mentoring and Lifecycle — Provides opportunities for women’s growth and development by fostering valuable connections over career and lifecycle events to support and empower diverse AMIA members through networking and mentoring to reach their career goals.
- Pathways — Works with other volunteer groups in AMIA to increase the number of women in AMIA and retain them in the early stages of their career development.
We need women to help the Women in AMIA initiative grow! Share opportunities within AMIA with other women. Encourage them with stories from inspiring women in AMIA and beyond.
Opportunities Available to Women in AMIA:
- AMIA Awards
- AMIA Leadership Opportunities
- AMIA Academic and Career Advancement Resources
- AMIA Job Search Resource Center
- AMIA Annual Symposium Kids Camp Licensed Childcare Services
The Women in AMIA Pathways Sub-Committee developed an internship collection tool to compile a list of internship opportunities for anyone interested in informatics. Initially created to support AMIA’s First Look participants, this is an ongoing collection that is available to all students.
Leadership looks like you. Women in leadership roles send a positive message about what is possible in STEM careers. Nominate yourself or a colleague for AMIA elections, volunteer for a subcommittee, present a working group webinar, participate in the discussion list and encourage others to get involved. Movements take leaders. We need you!
With an active group of AMIA members work proactively to understand and counter gender stereotypes. AMIA supports the organizational vision that we prosper through inclusion of diverse members that are supported and empowered to reach their career goals.
AMIA is committed to efforts, communications and actions that demonstrate AMIA’s commitment to diversity regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, gender, gender identification, race, religion, political beliefs, or sexual orientation.