The AMIA First Look Program takes place place yearly at the AMIA Annual Symposium. The goal of the program is to expose undergraduate women with an interest in informatics and/or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) to the field through attendance at the Symposium.
Students receive free conference registration and are welcome to participate as their schedule permits.
The AMIA First Look program is sponsored by the Women in AMIA Steering Committee with financial support from committed industry partners.
- First Look participants will be at least at the sophomore level at an undergraduate institution with a STEM-focused program.
- Participants must be enrolled at an institution near the site of the Annual Symposium.
- While schedules are flexible, students must participate on one pre-determined day.
The objectives for students participating in the AMIA First Look program are to:
- Provide underrepresented undergraduate students with an interest in informatics and/or STEM an opportunity to learn about the field of informatics by attending key symposium events;
- Introduce and engage students in the Women in AMIA community by interacting with women in informatics through assigned mentored guides and both formal and informal networking receptions; and
- Equip students with resources for internship and post-graduate career “next-steps” in informatics by networking and making connections with industry and educational professionals in the exhibit hall.