The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee guides and executes AMIA’s strategic goals and objectives related to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Additionally, when it comes to biomedical and health informatics science and practice, there is a natural intersection with health equity that enables the identification and tracking of disparities in health and healthcare as well as the design, implementation, and evaluation of informatics-enabled interventions at the micro-, meso-, and macro-levels. The impact of health disparities spans five application domains: translational bioinformatics, clinical research, consumer, clinical and public health informatics. The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee also directs specific attention to AMIA’s mission and its intersection with structural racism and health equity.
There are five subcommittees:
- Recruitment: external outreach to marginalized or historically excluded groups to build awareness of AMIA and the informatics profession
- Retention and Advancement: internally focused on growing a diverse set of AMIA leaders
- Communications: promote diverse informatics voices, research, and activities through AMIA communications channels and advocate for more inclusive research in informatics journals
- Education, Governance, and Policy: build DEI practices into AMIA’s structure; contribute to policy responses; support DEI member education activities
- Advancement of Health Equity and Antiracism in Healthcare: position AMIA to become a thought leader in addressing these topics at the intersection with informatics; serve as an organizational convener for education, research, and policy