AMIA is a community committed to the vision of a world where informatics transforms people’s care. Over the last 35 years, the use of informatics has grown exponentially to improve health and to make better healthcare decisions. Today, informatics is the key to accelerating the current goals of healthcare reform.
AMIA has been recognized as a Top Employer of Choice for an Effective and Flexible Workplace as a winner of the When Work Works award.
Current Open Positions
WittKieffer is honored to partner with the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) in seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial association executive to serve as its next Chief Executive Officer (CEO). This is a career-defining opportunity for an experienced servant leader to advance a rapidly growing membership society whose members are transforming healthcare.
AMIA is the professional society for more than 5,600 subject matter experts in the science and practice of informatics as it relates to clinical care, research, education, and policy. AMIA is an unbiased, authoritative source within the informatics community and the health care industry. AMIA and its members are transforming health care through trusted science, education, and practice in biomedical and health informatics. AMIA's national office, previously located in Bethesda, MD, is now completely virtual. The organization has 17 staff and an annual budget of approximately $7 million.
The CEO is accountable to the AMIA Board of Directors and will be passionate about the mission of AMIA and will advance AMIA’s role as the leader in biomedical and health informatics while providing vision, operational excellence, and skilled interpersonal and public relations. The CEO will oversee the programmatic, administrative, and management activities of AMIA including the advancement of new programs that have important business opportunities for AMIA. The successful Chief Executive Officer candidate will work with AMIA’s elected President and Board Chair to consistently articulate and make known AMIA’s position on important informatics issues, both to the membership and external audiences and represent AMIA in interactions with government and other policy making forums, industry, scientific organizations, academic institutions and other organizations that are relevant to the field of informatics.
The ideal candidate for the CEO role will be a strategic executive with a proven track record of success leading in a senior leadership capacity. They will be a collaborative, team oriented servant leader who can communicate effectively and build relationships across the association and actively engage AMIA membership and seek strategic partnerships to help advance AMIA's goals. The ability to influence, lead change and implement the strategic vision created by the Board of Directors is essential. The CEO will be a driven, innovative leader who can deliver results in a growing and evolving professional association. A graduate degree in a health, association management or business field is preferred, as is 10+ years leadership experience in a membership society or similarly complex organization.
Inquiries, nominations and applications are invited. Please direct all application materials to Hillary Ross or Scott Dethloff via the WittKieffer Candidate Portal here. Inquiries and nominations may also be directed to the consultants through the portal or email@example.com. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Coordinator to support AMIA’s communications and marketing efforts including developing and editing written materials, marketing events, managing and growing AMIA’s social media following, and coordinating with the press. The Coordinator is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and savvy communications professional to build their marketing skills, expand AMIA’s brand and to advance the organization's strategic priorities. The Coordinator position requires strong writing skills for both digital and print communications. This position is responsible for the writing and editing of select programmatic communications as well as managing timelines for print projects through production process, setting reasonable deadlines to ensure on-time delivery. The Coordinator coordinates with appropriate staff as assigned to ensure that e-communications, social media and web content is relevant, critical and timely. This position will work closely with other AMIA staff to ensure a consistent message and an integrated communications effort. The position will work with members, prospective members, the media and relevant organizations to reinforce AMIA’s messages consistently and to continue to build brand identity for the organization and its programs.
- Write, edit and distribute AMIA eNews – the biweekly member eNewsletter.
- Support select programmatic communications and marketing (meetings, membership, policy, corporate support) collaborating with the Director of Marketing and Public Relations and the Education Communications Program Manager.
- Manage advertising inquiries for eNews and the AMIA website including prospecting with the membership department.
- Collaborate with program directors to create a wide variety of copy and design for fliers, social media campaigns, e-newsletters, outreach materials, and event collateral.
- Coordinate schedules for communication and promotion projects, and work with staff to ensure that timelines are met for web and print.
- Coordinate with staff to support, maintain and increase AMIA’s social media strategies.
- Report performance measures and benchmarks as appropriate to Director of Marketing and Public Relations.
- Field press inquiries, support PR distribution efforts and manage reporting for PR efforts through Muck Rack.
- Daily management of AMIA’s social media accounts and coordination with AMIA’s communications firm on social media efforts/campaigns.
- Seek out and implement use of best practices into marketing and communication process.
- Develop the highest member service standards possible in using tools and strategies to respond to inquiries, requests, and comments from members, prospective members, and others.
- Ensure brand consistency with design, functionality, and messaging in all collateral, including print and digital media.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in one or more relevant fields, including journalism, English, marketing, communications/public relations, preferred.
- 2-5 years communications experience with strong background in writing, marketing, and social media, AP Style Book experience preferred.
- Strong knowledge of social media and social media campaigns with an emphasis on Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Strong MS office skills; editing web sites in a CMS environment and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, MuckRack (or other PR software) a plus, and competency with design software (InDesign, Photoshop) a plus.
- Ability to actively learn and master skills necessary for use of Email Marketing System/CMS technology.
- Experience and ability to prioritize and maintain multiple projects simultaneously, working collaboratively with other staff to accomplish successful results on deadline and on budget.
- Ability to work efficiently, with flexibility, creativity, initiative, positive energy, and a good sense of humor.
- Knowledge of association/nonprofit marketing and communication functions a plus.
- Able to travel occasionally.
AMIA is pleased to offer benefits that include fully paid medical, dental, long term disability, and life insurance in addition to a retirement program and an attractive paid leave plan. To be considered, candidates should respond with a resume and salary requirements to Phyllis Burchman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please insert the job title in the subject line. Qualified local candidates will be contacted for interviews. No telephone calls will be accepted.