AMIA set an ambitious goal for documentation burden reduction for U.S. Clinicians to 25% of current state in the next 5 years. To that end, we seek to optimize electronic health record (EHR) and related vendor solutions.
While there is a wealth of ideas and efforts within the HIT community to reduce documentation burden, many of them do not achieve their full potential due to challenges in changing dominant documentation practices in place today and structural barriers, such as interoperability.
Currently, AMIA’s 25x5 vendor workstream is building a five-year roadmap of HIT initiatives to reduce documentation burden. This group is seeking ideas from the broader health care community for concrete projects—aligned to the priorities listed below--that can be delivered with the support of AMIA’s 25x5 community.
Submitted ideas will be reviewed and finalists will have an opportunity to pitch their projects, with the top finalists receiving the following support:
- Recognition and inclusion of the innovation and capabilities on the AMIA 25x5 Roadmap to Reduce Documentation Burden.
- AMIA press release recognizing finalists for finalist’s own promotional use.
- A forum to address structural barriers to scaling and adoption of an innovation including:
- A consortium of vendors to collaborate with on interoperability needs
- An advocacy group actively focused on driving policy change
- A collective of progressive health system leaders willing to promote and experiment with new innovations
Who Can Participate?
This call is open to all and anyone who believes their ideas and subsequent projects can reduce documentation burden. AMIA membership is not required and there is no cost to submit a pitch.
Ideas will be judged based on the following criteria
- Addresses one or more of the targeted action items and themes provided
- Adheres to smart objective principles:
- Actionable / Attainable
- Relevant / Reasonable
- Time-based / Time-bound
- Demonstrated or potential impact on documentation burden
- Clear and feasible plan for scaling innovation, implementation, and/or adoption to drive toward 75% target
Pitch Event Rounds
Submit a written overview of the innovation idea (adhering to provided submission template) by September 8.
The AMIA 25x5 Task Force Vendor Workstream and public input will determine the top pitches invited to Round Two. Pitches will be posted on the AMIA website for public review and ranking/voting September 19-26.
All submitters will be notified on or before October 8 indicating if the pitch is selected to proceed to Round Two. Ideas graded and evaluated by the public and 25x5 Task Force Vendor Workstream on provided criteria.
3-minute presentation of each of the top ideas.
- Presentation and feedback open to the public
- Round Two presentations will be held virtually on Thursday, October 20, from 3-4 pm ET.
- A final panel of judges with significant experience developing or using EHR technology will determine the finalists whose projects will be pursued first.
Top 5 finalists work with the AMIA 25x5 vendor task force to formalize their innovations in a vendor roadmap.