AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium First Look Program
AMIA is pleased to announce the 5th annual First Look program. The goal is to expose undergraduate women with an interest in informatics and/or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) to the field through attendance at AMIA’s Annual Symposium.
The AMIA 2021 Annual Symposium begins Saturday, October 30 and concludes Wednesday, November 3. Students will receive free conference registration and are welcome to participate as their schedule permits; mandatory participation is only required for October 31st.
The AMIA First Look program, sponsored by the Women in AMIA Steering Committee with financial support from committed industry partners, has invited a number of women to the Symposium to learn about the field. First Look participants will be at least at the sophomore level at an undergraduate institution with a STEM-focused program at an institution in the San Diego, CA area.
Our objectives for students participating in the AMIA First Look program are to:
- Provide underrepresented undergraduate students with an interest in informatics and/or STEM an opportunity to learn about the field of informatics by attending key symposium events on October 31st.
- Introduce and engage students in the Women in AMIA community by interacting with women in informatics through assigned mentored guides and both formal and informal networking receptions; and
- Equip students with resources for internship and post-graduate career “next-steps” in informatics by networking and making connections with industry and educational professionals in the exhibit hall.
Schedule of Events
Sunday, October 31st
Orientation meet up 7:30am - 8:00am
- Registration badge pick-up and ribbon selection
- Partner with Mentor #1-for-a-Day
Introduction to Informatics 8:00am - 12:00pm
- What is informatics?
- Student Panel
- Lightning Chats
- How did we get here and what does it take? Perspectives across the Spectrum (Industry, Academia, Healthcare Leadership, Public Health/Policy, Clinical Informatics Fellowship)
Women in AMIA/AMIA First Look Box Lunch 12:00pm - 1:30pm
- Mentors will share their informatics story with AMIA First Look student; topics will be distributed to aid the conversation. The lunch will also include a brief panel, but this focuses on small-group engagement between mentors and students
Opening Plenary Session 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Mentor will escort AMIA First Look student to the Opening Plenary Session
Scientific Sessions 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Mentors will attend the Scientific Sessions with AMIA First Look students
Welcome Reception 5:00pm - 6:00pm
- Mentors will escort AMIA First Look students to exhibit hall