AMIA invites proposals from qualified educational institutions to partner with AMIA in offering 10x10 courses.
The goal of AMIA's 10x10 program is to train 10,000 professionals in the key tenets of medical informatics to assure that the potential of information technology in health care is realized. AMIA recognizes that while the development of information technology holds great promise, the development of a workforce that can make best and appropriate use of technologies in clinical and other settings is a critical requirement.
Educational institutions interested in partnering with AMIA to deliver a 10x10 course should be able to:
- Demonstrate a proven ability to deliver a high-quality educational experience
- Deliver approximately the equivalent in workload and sophistication of a three credit, graduate level course
- Offer the content primarily through distance learning technologies, with at least one face-to-face session with students during the course
- Provide instruction that is aligned with AMIA's mission, vision and goals
AMIA 10x10 Proposal Style Guidelines:
- 12 point font size
- Times New Roman style font
- 1 inch margins all around
- 1.5 to 2 spacing
AMIA expects that many of the 10x10 offerings will focus on applied clinical informatics. Sufficient numbers of individuals who are experienced in applied clinical informatics will be critical if the nation is to implement electronic health records applications on a broad scale and to assure that these systems are used in a way that addresses the cost, quality and access problems that vex health care. However, applications for offerings that have a focus other than applied clinical informatics also are welcomed.
AMIA is committed to a high level of quality in its educational activities and seeks partners that are similarly committed. As part of the 10x10 program AMIA will survey the students that complete the 10x10 courses. AMIA expects that the partner organizations will do internal evaluations as well.
Applications will be reviewed by the AMIA 10x10 Course Review Committee to assure that the applications adhere to the specified criteria. The 10x10 Course Review Committee reviews 10x10 course proposals and make a recommendation whether or not to pursue a partnership. The operational details of 10x10 remain the responsibility of the Education Department staff and are maintained in the 10x10 Program information. The committee gathers only when proposals are submitted to AMIA and conducts business by teleconference or email. Oversight of AMIA's 10x10 Program is provided by the Course Review Committee, which reports to the AMIA Board of Directors.
All 10x10 course proposal applications are reviewed by the AMIA Education Committee.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Education Program Manager, Susanne Arnold at email@example.com. We look forward to receiving your application.
Criteria for Interested 10x10 Partner Organizations
1. Administrative Section
- Name of institution providing the 10x10 course
- Brief general description of the institution (250 words)
- Name of the department offering the course
- Brief general description of the department (200 words)
- Specific name of the 10x10 course to be offered
- Area of focus within informatics (e.g., applied clinical informatics, bioinformatics, etc.)
- Contact person information
- Phone number
- Evidence that institution has the ability to deliver a distance learning program, including number of past courses, number of students who have passed through the program, and the infrastructure to support the effort. (250 words)
2. Course Description Section
Course director information:
- Phone number
- Course goals (50 words)
- Intended audience, including a listing of specific prerequisites (100 words)
- Brief description of course format and structure, e.g., weekly lectures with readings, individualized instruction, project-based learning, etc. Include a description of instructional materials. Include total number of hours of course learning. (200 words)
- Please provide a course syllabus that lists the specific course sessions by topic with measurable learning objectives for each session (these can be phrased as competencies). Please also list the instructor(s) for each session.
- Describe the face to face component of the offering, including a description of content, goals and how the session will be run. (150 words)
- List of faculty involved in the delivery of the course, including specific role of each in the course.
- Evidence that each faculty member has the requisite informatics expertise (150 words)
- Evidence that the goals of the course are aligned with AMIA's mission (150 words)
- Describe how this 10x10 course complements or augments AMIA's current 10x10 offerings (200 words)
3. Course Logistics
- Number of times per year that the institution plans to put on the course
- Minimum and maximum number of students
- Planned first start date
- Institution and department's plan for marketing the course (150 words)
- Any potential conflicts of interest of any of the faculty members (150 words)
- Description of how students will be evaluated to demonstrate mastery of the course content. Explain how the student grades will be calculated. (120 words)