AMIA is committed to providing guidance and updates as to how COVID-19 is affecting the informatics community. AMIA’s multidisciplinary, interprofessional community of health informatics experts are looking at this novel coronavirus from all directions – from its genome, to its presentation in patients, and its spread across populations. AMIA members are working on the front lines to treat patients, working in public health settings to track its spread across communities, and leveraging data to answer pressing research questions. From front-line informaticians and public health informaticists, to clinical and bioinformatics researchers, AMIA's members are uniquely positioned to leverage data and evidence in the fight against COVID-19. This page will be updated regularly.
AMIA COVID-19 Webinar Series
To highlight how our members and the broader informatics community is addressing this global pandemic we are launching the AMIA COVID-19 Webinar Series.
We will look at the pandemic through a health informatics lens and is designed to share informatics responses to the COVID-19 pandemic. Panelists will share their specific domain expertise, including clinical informatics, public health informatics, translational bioinformatics, clinical research informatics, and consumer health informatics. We will also have special emphasis webinars covering topics related to global health, telemedicine, and public policy during the COVID-19 pandemic. These webinars are open to all at no cost.
- Shifting Sands: How Policymakers Are Addressing the COVID-19 Pandemic and What It Means for Health Informatics Professionals (April 2; recording; slides)
- Managing the Global COVID-19 Pandemic with Health Informatics – Successes and Challenges (April 7; recording; slides)
- Dispatches from the Front: Virtual Care Models, Health Information Exchange, and Cancer Care During COVID-19; (April 9; recording; slides)
- Dispatches from the Front: Combatting the Coronavirus with Clinical Informatics and Health IT (April 10; recording; slides)
- Building a Nationwide COVID-19 Cohort Through Informatics: A New Initiative From CD2H & NCATS (April 13; recording; slides)
- Nursing Informatics in Times of COVID 19: Achievements, Challenges, and New Ideas (April 14; recording; slides)
- Maximizing Health IT, Modeling, Tracking, Tracing, and Other Public Health Tools during the COVID-19 Outbreak (April 20; recording; slides)
- Rapid Response: A Special Emphasis Webinar on Telehealth During COVID-19 (April 23; recording; slides)
- eCR Now: A Webinar Describing Efforts to Scale eCase Reporting Nationwide (April 28; recording; slides)
- Using the ACT Network to Gain Insight into COVID-19 (May 5; recording; slides)
- Rapid Design and Implementation of an Integrated Patient Self-Triage and Self-scheduling Tool for COVID-19 (June 6; recording; slides)
- Understanding the Unique Challenges & Opportunities of Combating COVID-19 in LMICs (June 15; recording; slides)
C19 Weekly Vidcast
The C19 Weekly is a VidCast hosted by Dr. Nicholas Tatonetti, Associate Professor at Columbia University, and produced by Dr. Sctt McGrath, Clinical Informatics Education Specialist at Providence St. Joseph Health. Each week will highlight two to three breaking COVID-19 research papers which feature exciting informatics or data science contributions and one different project where people can contribute their skills, all in a 12-15 minute package! New episodes are released on Fridays, catch up on the current episodes here and be sure to subscribe for the next episode.
Episode 2: https://youtu.be/8BQS2Wj8OWg
Episode 3: https://youtu.be/xfjTCi9_pNQ
AMIA Journal Publications
AMIA journals have expedited the acceptance process for COVID-19 papers. These are open access.
- Rapid Response to COVID-19: Health Informatics Support for Outbreak Management in an Academic Health System (JAMIA; March 24)
- Balancing Health Privacy, Health Information Exchange and Research in the Context of the COVID-19 Pandemic (JAMIA; March 31)
- Electronic Personal Protective Equipment: A Strategy to Protect Emergency Department Providers in the Age of COVID-19 (JAMIA; April 2)
- Responding to COVID-19: The UW Medicine Information Technology Services Experience (ACI)
AMIA Corporate Member COVID-19 Resources
We are proud of the work our Corporate Members are doing to respond to the coronavirus. Visit their resource centers below.
University of Virginia
AMIA COVID-19 Community (members only)
This community and discussion forum located in AMIA Connect is for AMIA members who are working on various aspects of the world-wide pandemic of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19. Login required.